Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Updated HDR Application Comparison

Interior Antelope Slot Canyon, Page, AZHigh Dynamic Range (HDR) photography adds an exciting new dimension to digital photography and gives the photographer the ability to capture many more Exposure Values then with a single exposure. The images used in my comparison were all exposed bracketed 2/3 f-stop apart using my Canon 5D or 50D cameras. Included are views from Monument Valley, Utah, Upper Antelope slot canyon near Page, Arizona and Sedona, Arizona.

I compared five HDR applications: PhotoShop CS5, Photomatix 4.0, HDR Express 1.0.9, HDR Efex Pro and Essential HDR 1.0. I processed the same image files in each application For the most part, I used the “default” or “standard” result that came up when the application had merged the three images together. In a few cases I used another preset offered in the application. These are noted in the image file names. The results are shown in this album.

Each of the applications affords the photographer numerous choices in styles and degrees of effects. However, for me personally, Photomatix offers the best color rendition and most variations for the creative mind to apply to a set of bracketed images. Try them out for yourself and see what you think. Always happy to see your results or receive your comments.

No comments: